Search Knowledge Base
KB #240061: SQL does not start – Error: Another version of the product is already installed
When starting a Microsoft SQL Server instance that you have secured with Encryptionizer, you receive an error message that begins: “Another version of the product is already installed..”. You are trying to start a higher edition of SQL instance than the Encryptionizer license covers.
Scenario: You have configured a Microsoft SQL Server instance with Encryptionizer. When you try to start this instance, you receive an error message with the following complete text:
Another version of the product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing of the product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.
The message indicates that the SQL Server edition is a higher level than that for which you are licensed. For instance, the SQL Server edition is SQL Server Enterprise, however, your license covers only up to SQL Server Standard.
The Encryptionizer versions will cover the following SQL Server editions:
- Encryptionizer for SQL Server Enterprise covers:
All editions of Microsoft SQL Server, including
- Encryptionizer for SQL Server Standard covers:
- Encryptionizer for MSDE/Express covers:
This issue may occur under several scenarios:
- You configured Encryptionizer using an evaluation version which allows securing an instance up to SQL Server Enterprise, but when you purchased and applied the Encryptionizer license, you purchased for a lower level edition of SQL Server.
- You have upgraded your edition of SQL Server since your purchase of the Encryptionizer license at a lower edition.
To resolve this issue, you will need to acquire an Encryptionizer license that covers a higher edition of SQL Server.
240077: Error “Another version of this product is already installed” when starting SQL
Last modified: 1/28/2016