Search Knowledge Base
KB #240105: How to transfer an Encryptionizer license from one machine to another
You are upgrading or otherwise need to move an installation of Encryptionizer to another machine. You are allowed to transfer installations for licenses under a current support agreement.
Encryptionizer licenses can be moved from one machine to another provided the license is covered by a current support agreement. The Permanent Registration key for the original machine will not function on the new machine as it is hardware based. To move your license:
- Install Encryptionizer to the new machine using a Temporary Registration Key. You typically receive one with any Permanent Registration Key that you have received. A Temporary Registration Key can used on any machine, and on more than one machine at the same time; however, once applied to a machine, the same Temporary Registration key cannot be applied again on that machine to extend the period. If you need a new Temporary Registration key or reminder of where you can download the latest software, please contact NetLib Support.
- The Permanent Registration key for the original machine will not function on the new machine as it is hardware based. So request a new Permanent Registration key for the new machine. In the comments section of the registration page, indicate the machine which you will be decommissioning. If you have the original Permanent Registration Key information from the machine you are decommissioning, you can paste it into the Comments section.
- Within 1-2 business days, you will receive two emails. One will be a cancellation of the original Permanent Registration key. The second will be the new Permanent Registration key for the new machine. It will include information on how to apply it on the new machine.If you need to have both machines running for a transition period, you can request a longer Temporary Registration key for the new machine for testing, etc, and then choose to register about a week or so prior to the cutover.
To Move your database to the new server:
- Activate your Encryptionizer Software on the new server with either a Temporary or Permanent Registration key, as described above.
- Run the Administration Wizard on the new machine to set up the encryption key profile which will allow the new SQL instance to read the encrypted files. The encryption keys set up for the original machine should match those entered in the new machine. Restart the SQL instance on the new machine to load the new Encryption key profile
- Once the new SQL instance has restarted, you should be able to attach the encrypted database or restore the encrypted backup copied from the original server. No need to decrypt your original database or backup.
Last modified: 4/21/2016